June 16, 2009

Masters in Munger Cont.

In light of today's post on getting a Masters in Munger, I thought I had to post this article in the June issue of the Harvard Business Review from Joel Podolny.

The money passages:

I’m angry about the disciplinary silos in which business schools teach management. I obviously didn’t realize that balkanization had affected my understanding of the Royal Bank of Scotland, but many years ago, I did become aware that carving up management challenges by function would leave academics without a holistic appreciation of the challenges MBAs face.

I’m angry that many academics aren’t curious about what really goes on inside companies. They prefer to develop theoretical models that obscure rather than clarify the way organizations work. Many also believe that a theory’s relevance is enough to justify teaching it. That’s a low bar; almost no theory is entirely irrelevant to business, but only a few are truly important.

No comments:

Post a Comment