October 15, 2009

The Daily Court Martial

I am 100 pages into Max Hastings' new book Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-1945.

At the bottom of page 87, I came across something Churchill told his private secretary Jack Colville:

"I try myself by court martial to see if I have done anything effective during the day. I don't mean just pawing the ground---anyone can go through the motions---but something really effective."

I don't really know why, but this quote really hit me like a ton of bricks. I believe its effect had something to do with my fear of the verdict of a court martial on far too many of my days.

I am going to post this on my wall at work tomorrow morning to remind myself of the importance of doing more than just pawing the ground each and every day.


No comments:

Post a Comment