September 15, 2009

Winston and Clemmie

One of my favorite traits of the great Winston Churchill was his passion. He was a deeply rational and reasonable man, but he was also a man unafraid of showing his emotions and sometimes letting them get the best of him. If we never let our emotions get the best of us, then we aren't living life hard enough.

Below is a letter he wrote his wife Clementine in July of 1915 just before he joined the British Army in France as a Major. Churchill wrote the letter and sealed it in an envelope with the following instructions: "To be sent to Mrs Churchill in the event of my death".
Here is the text of the letter above:

Do not grieve for me too much. I am a spirit confident of my rights. Death is only an incident & not the most important which happens to us in this state of being. On the whole, especially since I met you my darling I have been happy, & you have taught me how noble a woman's heart can be. If there is anywhere else I shall be on the look out for you. Meanwhile look forward, feel free, rejoice in life, cherish the children, guard my memory. God bless you.

Good bye.


W.

No comments:

Post a Comment